If your account has been set up to have multi-factor authentication, you can choose to authenticate your Office 365 logins by using the Microsoft Authenticator app to approve your logins. This mode of authentication is recommended by Microsoft.
Choosing authentication by Microsoft Authenticator
1. Make sure that the Microsoft Authenticator app for Android, iOS or Windows Phone has been downloaded and installed on your cell.
2. Choose Mobile app from the drop-down list.
3. Make sure that Receive notificatiions for verifications is selected. Click Set up.
4. Wait for the Configure mobile app pop-up box and keep this window open while you do the next steps.
5. Open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your phone.
6. Tap the Add Account button on your app.
7. Choose Work or school account.
8. Use your phone to scan the QR square that is on your computer screen. Note: If you can't use your phone camera, you'll have to manually enter the 9-digit code and the URL.
9. Your account will be added automatically to the app and will display a six-digit code.
10. Switch back to your computer and click Next.
11. Wait while your phone is being configured. You'll get a message that the Mobile app has been configured for notifications and verification codes. Press the Save button.
12. Switch back to the Microsoft Authenticator app on your phone and tap Approve to allow it.
13. Go back to the computer and follow any prompts that you might see, such as adding a mobile number.